Despite a valiant effort the U12’s winning streak came to an end on Monday evening v Newick is title decider.

Scorecard –

Burgess Hill won the toss and put the home team into bat. The visitors made a solid start with Owen Larder bowling out Newick’s opener in the 4th over.
Another wicket fell in the 8th over thanks to a run out by Burgess Hill’s captain Kyle Jones.

At the mid innings drinks break Newick were on 47-2 and the visitors were confident of reducing them to a sub 100 total.
An 11th over wicket for Nathan Ward gave Burgess Hill a further boast

However as the conditions seemed to become more sweltering the extras started to mount.
Aidan Baker and Kyle both took wickets and Newick’s top scoring batsmen retired but still the run rate started to creep up and by the 18th over Newick had reached 104-5.

Alfie Lees and Owen claimed a wicket each in the last 2 overs but Newick closed out on a very healthy 120-7.

Thankfully the temperature cooled for Burgess Hill’s batting innings as Kyle and Alfie headed to the middle.

Unfortunately the pairing was short lived with Alfie bowled out first ball. Freddie Cobham joined Kyle in the middle but again the pairing was cut short as Kyle was bowled in the 3rd over.
Burgess Hill were on 7-2 and in all sorts of trouble.

Owen joined Freddie and started to find his rhythm with a well hit boundary before also being bowled. The low bouncing grass wicket and accurate Newick bowling was taking its toll on the Burgess Hill batsmen.

Ryan Goss took to the crease and slowly but surely Freddie and Ryan started to put some runs on the board and steady the innings.
By the 10 over mark Burgess Hill were nearly neck and neck with Newick at the same stage with 46-3.

However the partnership was broken in the 14th over with Ryan caught for 18. Billy Reid joined Freddie in the middle before being run out in the 16th over.

Freddie completed a battling innings retiring on 30 to make way for Lewis Mcintyre who joined Aidan in the middle.
Newick claimed one last wicket running out Aidan on the last ball to close out the visitors innings on 87-6.

Although it was a disappointing end for the boys they still should be very proud for winning 7 out of the 8 league matches and securing promotion to Division 2.